Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A Love Gone Wrong

This is a poem I originally wrote in the early 1990s, back when I was in high school. When I re-read this poem a few years back, I wasn't entirely happy with it, since it was written from the point of view of a teenager who hadn't experienced much of life at that point. I re-wrote this poem on December 11, 2008 from the point of view of a speaker who's learned the truth about their significant other. This wasn't written for any personal experience, though. Now that I'm older and know more about the world, I'm better able to put myself into the shoes of a character that's going through experiences that I personally haven't.


Once upon a time, not so long ago
Everything seemed to be so perfect
But then, something that I thought wasn't possible
Had happened to us


I heard rumors of infidelity
And I didn't want to believe it
But through some sleuthing, I discovered everything
Our love was a lie


I brought our relationship to an end
Our love was just a fairytale
I can't believe it's done, it's such a tragic end
To a love gone wrong

No comments:

Post a Comment