Tuesday, April 14, 2015

A Look Back At Life

This is a poem I wrote back in 1991, when I was almost 16 years old. It's a poem about looking back at one's life. It seems kind of strange that an almost 16-year-old would write a poem like this; but even though it's a very old poem, it's still one of my favorites that I've written.


When I look back at my life
Everything seems so different
At one time, what seemed to be a tragedy
Is now something petty
And events I brushed aside
Come back to haunt me
And now I must deal with the past


A look back at life


Taking a look back at my life
Remembering what happened long ago
Good times and bad times
Remind me of who I was
And who I'm going to be
I'm learning from my mistakes
And becoming a better person
As I look ahead to my future
I take action
And take control of my life
I learn from the past
So I can build a better future


As I sit in the old rocking chair
Fifty years from now
I wonder what I've really accomplished
During my lifetime
I sit back and try to recapture the memories
Of that one special moment
The one moment that lives on in your mind


This strange retrospective
I don't even know what the objective is
What is the purpose?
What is the meaning?
What good are memories
When they're all that you've got left?
Dreams I had of what could be
Dreams I had of what could've been
Dreams of what will never be
Clinging on to hope
When it seems that's all that you've got left
In this retrospective
I recapture the magic of youth


Time slips on by
Photos fade
And so do memories
Longing to relive the past
Yet forgetting at the same time
Hold on to your memories
Before they slip away


A fleeting glimpse of the past
Appears in your mind
And then disappears


A look back at life

No comments:

Post a Comment