Sunday, April 19, 2015

Anticipation

This is a poem I wrote back in 1995 after my husband first told me that he loved me. We'd been communicating via email because he was home for Summer Break during college, and his family lived on the other side of the state from me. We'd hung out a bit that spring and got to know each other a bit, and it was through those emails over the summer that he realized that he had feelings for me. I wrote this as I was waiting for him to come back to school for the fall.


What happened two weeks ago
I can't believe it's true
Even though I know it is
That you told me the words, "I love you"


Right now you're miles away
But you'll be back to stay
In a very short time now
And all I can do is count the days


And though we write every day
All I can do is wait
For you to come back to me
All I can do is anticipate


Whenever I hear from you
It just brightens my day
And I always find myself
Hanging on to every word you say


I find myself filled with anticipation
Awaiting your return...
But you'll be back soon, darling
And then we'll be together
Forever

No comments:

Post a Comment