Monday, August 10, 2015

The Stronger

This is a poem I wrote back in the mid-1990s. It's a poem from the point of view of a speaker who has found the strength to leave an unhealthy relationship.


When we first met, I was so naïve
I didn't realize what you were all about
But now that I understand
I refuse to be a victim
Of your selfish whims


I used to believe your love was true
So when I learned the truth, I just couldn't take it
I spent several days just
Crying my poor eyes out over
Someone like you


But now that enough time has gone by
I've learned that it's possible to live without you
No longer must I put up
With you and your tendency
To mess around with me


No longer must I depend on you
To be the one to make feel strong and whole
I've gained my independence
From you and your infidelity
So long, see ya


Perhaps I'm the stronger now...

No comments:

Post a Comment