Monday, September 7, 2015

Understanding Life

This is a poem I wrote in the early 1990s. It's from the point of view of a speaker who is trying to understand their life.


Life can be such a mystery
And nothing is what it seems
Sometimes my hopes and dreams
Can or will never come to be


And there are times life seems strange
Strife seems to take center stage
And yet throughout this age
I feel like I'm locked in a cage


Memory plays tricks with my mind
I've found there's nowhere to hide
From all the pain inside
Doesn't matter how hard I try


All I need is a bit of hope
And strength in order to cope
All I can do is mope
I've come to the end of my rope


I just don't understand my life
I've put up with all this strife
It cuts me like a knife
I just don't understand my life

No comments:

Post a Comment