Thursday, March 26, 2015

View From the Window

This is a poem I originally wrote in the early 1990s. When I re-read the poem a few years back, I wasn't happy with how it had turned out. I wrote this version of the poem on December 19, 2008, and it's told from the point of view of a speaker looking out the window during a trip in a car.


Sitting in the passenger's seat, as we drive down the road
I can get quite a view from the window
Of children playing, and couples walking hand in hand
And I can see the trees, the grass, and the houses whizzing by


Heading through downtown, I can see
Something else in the view from the window
I see a homeless man, holding a sign
That reads, "Out of work. Can you spare a dime?"


As we continue on our drive, I begin to notice
That the view from the window is changing
I see that we are leaving civilization behind
And are getting on the open highway to reach our destination

No comments:

Post a Comment