Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Not So Long Ago

This started out as lyrics my sister and I wrote together in the mid-1980s, and I used the title to write a poem in the early 1990s. When I re-read the poem a few years back, I wasn't happy with how it had turned out. I wrote this version of the poem on August 17, 2009, and it's from the point of view of a speaker who is looking back and realizing how much they have changed in such a short amount of time.


Once upon a time, and not so long ago
My life was so much different than it is today
It's gotten to the point that I no longer know
Who I'm seeing when I look at old pictures of myself


It seems so much has changed in such a short time
I'm no longer the person that I used to be
I've found all of the reasons and all of the rhyme
That I simply didn't understand, not so long ago

No comments:

Post a Comment