Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Breaking Up

This is a poem I originally wrote back in the early 1990s when I was in high school. When I re-read the poem a few years back, I wasn't happy with how it turned out. I wrote this version of the poem on December 29, 2008, and it tells the story of what happens when rumors are spread about a relationship.


It all started
With the vicious rumors
Being spread behind our backs
Whispers in the hall
Claimed that we were breaking up
With no way of making up
What was fueling these gossip mongers?
What would make them think
That there was any shred of truth
In what they were saying?
As the day wore on
More details about this rumor
Began emerging from loose lips
Every piece of gossip
Claimed that you were seeing
Someone else behind my back
And that you were in love with her
Instead of with me
One thing led to another
And it escalated into a confrontation
With you telling me
That the rumors were true
And with me breaking up with you

No comments:

Post a Comment