Monday, November 10, 2014

Come Together

This started out as lyrics I wrote with my sister in the mid-1980s, and then I used the title in the early 1990s to write a poem. When I re-read this poem a few years back, I wasn’t entirely happy with how it turned out. I wrote this version of the poem on January 16, 2009, and it's about needing to come together to help people who are in need.


See the homeless people in the street
See the faces of the hungry and weak
See the lines at the food banks
We need to come together
In our communities and in our towns
To help those who may be down
And out on their luck


See the children who face abuse at home
See the children who are left alone
See the families trying to make ends meet
We need to come together
In our churches and in our temples
To help those who are in need
Of a helping hand

No comments:

Post a Comment