Thursday, November 6, 2014

Can I Make You See?

This originally started out as lyrics I wrote with my sister in the mid-1980s, and then I used the title to write a poem in the late 1980s/early 1990s. When I re-read the poem a few years back, I wasn’t satisfied with how it had turned out. I wrote this version of the poem on January 12, 2009, and it's from the point of view of someone trying to find a resolution to an issue.


We may have different perspectives
We may not see eye to eye
We may not agree on much
We may refuse to see some truths
We may turn a blind eye to the other side
We may turn a deaf ear when we don't want to hear
But we need to try to open our eyes
And we need to try to open our ears
And face things we don't want to deal with
Can I make you see my side of the story
Or at least have you acknowledge my concerns?
But, if that can't be accomplished
I wonder if I can make you see
That we need to agree to disagree
So we can move on

No comments:

Post a Comment